Public Health Unit (PHU)
Public Health encompasses Disease Control and Environmental Health (formally Centre for Disease Control and Environmental Health Branch). There is a Public Health Unit in Department of Health, Top End Health Service and Central Australia Health Service.
The Public Health sector within NT Health have recently undergone a transition process. This includes the Centre for Disease Control and Environmental Health.
The Public Health Unit (PHU) Directorate in Department of Health is responsible for:
- Territory‐wide health planning
- Developing system‐wide policy, strategy and advice
- Intergovernmental relations
- Performance and accountability
- National and local reporting as it relates to Public Health.
The Directorate remains accountable to the Chief Health Officer, Department of Health. Officers working within the Directorate provide professional support as well as guidance and support to the operational Public Health teams within the Health Services.
As of 1 August 2019, the operational arms of Disease Control and Environmental Health became Public Health Units within the current TEHS and CAHS structures, reporting through Primary Health Care.
The role of the Public Health Unit in each Health Service includes, but is not exclusive to: the control of communicable diseases, the implementation of preventative health programs, as well as reducing the amount of disease caused by physical, chemical, biological and radiological factors in the environment.
The Public Health Units support both government and non-government health service sites.
Specific programs within the Public Health Unit include:
- Vaccinations in remote communities
- Sexual health services
- Needle and syringe program
- Health conditions and treatments (bacterial infections, cerebral palsy, digestive health, fungal infections, heat stress, parasites, rheumatic heart disease, sexual health, viral infections)
- Emergencies, injuries and accidents (bites and stings, falls injury prevention, fireworks injury)
Last updated: 01 August 2019