Patient complaints and compliments

How to make a complaint or enquiry, give a compliment or make a suggestion

We want to give you the best care possible. This includes listening to what you have to say about our services. Your views and comments help us improve.

Your feedback is confidential and can be anonymous. It will not be part of your medical records.

There are different ways you can tell us about your experience:

If you make a complaint, when will you get a reply?

Confirmation that we have received your complaint will be provided verbally or in writing within 5 days.

Our aim is to respond to complaints within 35 days.  If your complaint is still being investigated after 35 days and a response is not yet ready, we will provide you with updates every 20 days so you know how it is progressing.

What will NT Health do with my feedback?

Your feedback will help us improve the way we deliver health care services.

What happens to your information?

Anything you say will be treated confidentially and will not appear in your medical record.

Need help with English?

Please talk to a member of staff to get assistance.  They will be able to organise an interpreter for you.

If you are helping someone who needs an interpreter please see Interpreter Services for more information.

What to do if you’re not happy with how we handled your complaint

If you are not happy with how your complaint or question was dealt you can lodge a complaint with an external organisation.

The two main organisations for health complaints are the Community Visitor Program (for mental health services) and the Health and Community Services Complaints Commission (all services).

Community Visitor Program (for clients of mental health services only)

If you are admitted to a Mental Health Service in the Northern Territory, either in hospital or in the community, then the Community Visitor Program (CVP) is there to help. They can help make sure you understand your rights. The CVP is independent, which means they are not part of the health service. They are separate and make sure the laws are followed and your concerns are listened to. They help the health services make changes to improve how they do things.

To find out more go to the  Community Visitor Program website.

Health and Community Services Complaints Commission

The Health and Community Services Complaints Commission (HCSCC) provides assistance to Territorians to resolve complaints about health, disability and aged services and make recommendations to improve these services.

The HCSCC is independent, which means they listen to both the patient and the health service to help fix the situation.

Call 1800 004 474 or go to the Health and Community Services Complaints Commission website.

Other independent bodies who may be able to assist

Last updated: 03 March 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!