Mental health information for health professionals
Most of our mental health information has moved.
Mental Health Alcohol and Other Drugs Branch
The Mental Health Alcohol and Other Drugs Branch is a specialist policy and project unit within the Department of Health, Health Policy and Strategy Division.
The unit is responsible for monitoring the delivery of mental health alcohol and other drugs services as well as:
- service development and integration
- mental health and alcohol and other drug legislative reform matters
- National mental health and alcohol and other drug reform agenda activities and projects
- provision of funding to non-government organisations
The Mental Health and Related Services Act is the legislation that governs the delivery of mental health services in the Northern Territory (NT).
It aims to protect the rights of people with mental illness or mental disorder whilst ensuring that they have access to appropriate care.
This care is provided with as little restriction on the rights and liberties of the patient as the circumstances permit.
Forms for practitioners
Any medical practitioner registered to practice in the Northern Territory can make a Recommendation for Psychiatric Examination.
Before you submit a Recommendation (form 9) call the mental health helpline on 1800 682 288.
The peak body for community-managed mental health is the Northern Territory Mental Health Coalition (NTMHC).
For a list of non-government services go to community based mental health services.
- A National framework for recovery-oriented mental health services: guide for practitioners and providers
- A National framework for recovery-oriented mental health services: policy and theory
- National standards for mental health services 2010
- The Fifth National Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Plan
- The Fifth National Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Plan – Implementation Plan
- Consumers guide to the Mental Health and Related Services Act
Mental Health Alcohol and Other Drugs Branch - Darwin
PO Box 40596
Casuarina NT 0811
Phone: (08) 8999 2829
Last updated: 27 May 2019