Freedom of information

To read about about what kind of government information you can access visit the Freedom of Information (FOI) page on NT.GOV.AU.

This page also has information about what you need to lodge a FOI request and the forms you will need to fill out.

You can send your request to the Department of Health's Information and Privacy Unit. The contact details are at the bottom of this page.

Correcting your personal information

If, after accessing your personal information, you believe it is is inaccurate or out of date, you can request that the information be corrected. 

Under the Information Act, the department can make the change you requested, change the information in another way, or refuse to change the information. 

If your requested change is not agreed to, you will be provided with written reasons for refusal, and be given an opportunity to place with your personal records a statement of your opinion that the information is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date.

How to apply for a correction

To apply to correct your information submit an application form:

In your application explain why you think the information is not accurate, incorrect or is out of date, and submit to the Information and Privacy Unit, contact details listed below.


The Department of Health applies the following policy to privacy:

  • when your personal information is collected by the department, it will only collect what is necessary to provide you with the best and most appropriate services
  • the department will advise you the reasons for collecting your personal information, how it will be used, if it will be disclosed to anyone and that you have the right to access it
  • the department will only use your personal information for the purpose it was collected for, and will not use it for another purpose unless with your consent, or if it's required by law, or the use is related to the reason it was collected for
  • the department will keep your information secure, and take reasonable steps to ensure it is accurate, complete and up to date
  • if there is no law requiring the department to keep your personal information, it will be destroyed or de-identifed once it's not longer needed
  • on request, the department will give you access to your personal information.

Read the Department of Health Privacy Policy


If you are concerned that your personal information has not been protected, or that the department has breached your privacy, you should make a complaint in writing.

Include your name and contact details, and why you to believe that your privacy has been interfered with. 

Provide as much detail as possible including:

  • date and time
  • location of incidents
  • who did what
  • names and contact details of any witnesses.

Submit your written complaint to the Information and Privacy Unit, at the details below.

If you are not satisfied with any response you receive from the department in relation to an interference with your privacy, you can then lodge a complaint with the Northern Territory Information Commissioner.


87 Mitchell Street
Darwin NT 0800

PO Box 40596
Casuarina NT 0811

Phone: (08) 8999 2880
Fax: (08) 8999 2455

Last updated: 10 January 2017