Patient complaint and compliment form

The Department of Health, the Top End Health Service and the Central Australia Health Service welcome all types of feedback, including complaints, compliments and suggestions.

Your feedback helps improve Northern Territory health services.

Making a complaint

If I make a complaint, when will I get a reply?

  • We will contact you within five days and aim to have a full response for you within 35 days.  If your complaint is still being investigated after 35 days and a response is not yet ready, we will update you every 20 days.

What will Northern Territory Health do with my feedback?

  • Your feedback will help us improve the way we deliver health care services.

What happens to my information?

  • Anything you say will be treated confidentially and will not appear in your medical

Who should I speak to about my feedback?

  • In the first instance, please discuss any concerns you may have with a health staff member or the manager of the service providing you with health care. A list of providers, including hospitals and clinics, is available on the contacts page.
  • In the Alice Springs, Royal Darwin and Palmerston Regional Hospitals, there are patient advocates and/or customer service officers who can support you while you are in hospital:

    Patient advocate and customer service, Royal Darwin Hospital
    Phone: (08) 8922 8824

    Patient advocate, Alice Springs Hospital
    Phone: (08) 8951 7777

    Customer Service Officer, Palmerston Regional Hospital
    08 7979 9705
  • Top End Mental Health Service has a Consumer Consultant who can support clients to lodge feedback:

    Consumer Consultant
    Phone: (08) 8999 4930

Online feedback form

You can also submit your feedback using the online form below or contact the complaints coordinator on (08) 8999 2572 or

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).

Please note we are required to confirm consent directly with the patient and contact will be made once the feedback is received.

Submitter details

Patient details

If you are providing the feedback on behalf of someone else, provide the patient’s details below:

Feedback information

Escalation to independent bodies

If you are unable to resolve your complaint directly with the service or if you wish to receive assistance from an independent party, you can lodge a complaint to an external organisation.

The two main bodies for health complaints are the Community Visitor Program (for mental health services) and the Health and Community Services Complaints Commission (all services).

Community Visitor Program (for clients of mental health services only)

The Community Visitor Program (CVP) is an independent body that oversees reviews and complaints under the law. It provides a personal service by looking into and trying to settle complaints and concerns.

The community visitor program helps improve service improvements and your outcomes.

You have the right to access the program when you are admitted to the Northern Territory (NT) Mental Health Service, either in a hospital or in the community.  To find out more, visit:  Community Visitor Program website.

Health and Community Services Complaints Commission

The Health and Community Services Complaints Commission is an independent statutory body established under the Health and Community Services Complaints Act.

They provide assistance to Territorians to resolve complaints about health, disability and aged services and make recommendations to improve the quality of these services.

They do not represent either party to ensure an impartial decision is made.

Call 1800 004 474 or go to the Health and Community Services Complaints Commission website.

Other independent bodies who may be able to assist

Bottom of Form

Last updated: 26 March 2018

Last updated: 06 October 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.