This page provides information about Registrar positions in both the Top End Health Service (TEHS) and the Central Australia Health Service (CAHS). For general employment conditions, go to the Medical officers employment conditions page.
There is an annual recruitment cycle for Registrars wishing to apply to TEHS and CAHS in the various specialties.
In additions, applications are permanently welcome from interested Registrars wishing to apply throughout the year.
Please note the application process for both health services require separate applications.
The Central Australian Health Service (CAHS) comprises of Alice Springs and Tennant Creek Hospitals.
Alice Springs Hospital
Alice Springs Hospital is accredited for diploma and specialist training by ACEM, ACRRM, ANZCA, CICM, RACGP, RACP (adults, paediatrics on rotation), RACGP, RACS (on rotation), RANZCOG, RACMA and RANZCP.
For further information on each department go to:
Tennant Creek Hospital
The work at Tennant Creek Hospital can be challenging but this makes it rewarding. It is an ideal setting for Rural Generalist training. For further information go to:
For more information
Phone: +61 8 8951 7989
Mail: PO Box 2234, Alice Springs NT 0871
The Top End Health Service offers broad clinical experience and opportunities to improve practical skills as well as a great lifestyle, spectacular geography and unique medical opportunities. On site facilities at Royal Darwin include a beautiful 25m swimming pool, gym, squash and tennis courts. On and off site accommodation is available at Royal Darwin Hospital for up to 12 weeks. Longer term supported accommodation is available for rotational Registrar positions. Accommodation is available for Registrars at Katherine and Gove Hospitals.
TEHS provides a generous relocation allowance. This will be explained upon receiving an offer of employment or if requested.
For general enquiries regarding Registrar applications in TEHS, please email Hospitaldoctors.THS@nt.gov.au.
- General Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Ear Nose & Throat (ENT)
- Maxillofacial Surgery
- Neuro Surgery
- General Medicine
- Addiction Medicine
- Darwin Private Hospital
- General Medicine
- General/Rural Medicine – Gove and Katherine
- General Practice trainees
- Geriatric Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Medical Administration Registrar
- Medical Education Registrar
- Nephrology - Renal Medicine
- Disease Control
- Palliative Care
- Rehabilitation Medicine
- Respiratory & Sleep Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
- General Pathology (Microbiology year)
- Anatomical Pathology
- Addiction Medicine
Registrars undertake an Orientation program prior to commencing ward duties. Key elements include cultural competencies, use of the various electronic health systems used throughout the hospital, and an introduction to management of unique and complex patient presentations.
Orientation to specific departments and the team you will be attached to takes place at the commencement of ward work.
For general enquiries regarding Registrar Applications email hospitaldoctors.THS@nt.gov.au.
Applications are made through a centralised online job application portal:
- Go to the NT Jobs portal and search for available jobs with the keyword 'Registrar'.
- You may apply for either or both CAHS or TEHS positions.
- Submit your application online through the portal, ensuring you:
- upload all supporting documents, and
- provide three referees who are registered medical specialists.
The health services will only contact the referees of short-listed applicants.
To express your interest in a medical officer position, please provide the following:
- Application with three referees
- NT Health will contact the referees of all short-listed applicants.
- Cover letter outlining your application, including:
- why do you want to work in the NT
- any rural/remote experiences you have had
- links to the NT (eg. family or, friends)
- commitment to the NT
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Email your cover letter and CV to:
- Central Australian Health Service MedicalRecruitmentASH@nt.gov.au
- Top End Health Service HospitalDoctors.THS@nt.gov.au.
- Primary Health Care RMPAdmin.TERHMedical@nt.gov.au
Please include the following in the email subject line: Medical officer EOI application (your name).
Last updated: 23 December 2020
Share this page:URL copied!