Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
Dentists and oral health
This page has information for dentists and dental and oral health therapists about Oral Health Services Northern Territory (OHS-NT), including recruitment opportunities.
There are oral health resources and health promotion materials available for oral health workers, non-health professional and teachers. The resources and materials are under review – for any queries email email@example.com
OHS-NT provides quality oral health services to Territorians including:
- pain and trauma management
- emergency care
- restorative fillings and repairs
- oral hygiene
- oral health promotion
- denture services.
Specialist services include orthodontics, oral surgery, and treatment in hospital under general anaesthetic.
For information about free public dental treatment in the Northern Territory (NT) go to the dental services pages on the NT Government website.
The challenges and opportunities in oral health care in the NT are like no other in Australia.
Positions are available with Oral Health Services NT(OHS-NT) for dentists, dental therapists and oral health therapists.
You'll work in modern community clinics in urban centres and travel to remote Aboriginal and island communities.
Oral Health Services NT (OHS-NT) is accredited with the Australian Council on Healthcare Standards and collaborates with the Menzies School of Health Research and the Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health in multi-centre clinical research programs.
To work as a dentist in the NT you must be registered with the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency (AHPRA). For more information go to the AHPRA website.
Who can apply
Dentists with the following qualifications are able to apply for registration:
- New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland - go to the Dental Board of Australia website
- other overseas trained dentists who have passed the Australian Dental Council Final Examination - go to the Australian Dental Council's website
- graduates of selected overseas dental schools employed under the Public Sector Dental Workforce Scheme - go to the Dental Board of Australia website.
Dental and oral health therapists
To work as a dental therapist or oral health therapist in the NT you must be registered with the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency.
Therapists are employed in the professional stream and generally commence at the P2 level.
Who can apply
The following therapists can apply:
- therapists qualified in Australia and New Zealand - go to the Dental Board of Australia website
- dental therapists who are trained and experienced in providing dental care to adults can apply for registration that includes authorisation to practise in a restricted practice area.
Dentists, Dental and Oral Health Therapists may be eligible for the following benefits:
- six weeks annual recreational leave
- cumulative sick leave
- annual retention allowance
- annual professional development allowance
- private practice allowance
- remote living subsidies in some areas
- work life balance initiatives
- relocation assistance.
How to apply
To apply read and fill in an expression of interest form.
Submit your form to oralhealth.THS@nt.gov.au.
Phone: (08) 8922 6466
Fax: (08) 8922 6404
OHS-NT Alice Springs
Phone: 08) 8951 6713
Fax: (08) 8951 6768
Last updated: 13 January 2017