PHU - Disease Control programs and units

Medical entomology

The CDC Medical Entomology Unit sits within the Top End Health Services Public Health Unit.

What we do

The unit provides advice and carries out surveillance, monitoring, and control of insects of medical importance that affect human health.

It primarily performs a public health function with the aim of reducing the impact of insects of medical importance on the health and wellbeing of people in the Northern Territory. Mosquitoes and biting midges are the primary focus.

The Medical Entomology Unit works with the following objectives:

  • to keep the NT free of malaria, dengue and other exotic mosquito borne diseases
  • monitor and reduce endemic mosquito borne disease in the NT
  • monitor and reduce endemic mosquito pest numbers in NT urban centres
  • maintain integrated mosquito control programs at major centres throughout the Territory
  • provide planning and development advice and guidelines to the Departments of Infrastructure, Planning and Environment and others to prevent new biting insect problems
  • carry out cooperative and applied research on insects of medical importance to enable better control or reduce the impact of problem species
  • promote public awareness and provide an advisory service on insects of medical importance to various government authorities, private enterprise and the public.


A large range of publications produced by the Medical Entomology Unit is available in the Department of Health ePublications, and on the CDC resource page under ‘ME’ including:

  • development guidelines
  • annual reports
  • scientific reports and publications.

Mosquito calendars

Go to insects of medical importance for calendars and information on:

  • biting midges
  • saltmarsh mosquitoes.


For general information see these online resources:

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 21 August 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.