The Department of Health leads population-level tobacco control strategies including:
- Quitline telephone counselling service and Quit group counselling services
- social marketing activities and public health warning campaign
- remote and Aboriginal community education, prevention, engagement and cessation support programs
- education, compliance and enforcement of the Tobacco Control Act.
Tobacco Action Plan 2016-2018
The Tobacco Action Plan for the Northern Territory is a commitment to the prevention and reduction of tobacco related harm and commits to the National Partnership Agreement on Preventive Health (NPAPH) benchmarks.
This document will reflect activities targeted at high risk and vulnerable groups in our community including:
- Aboriginal peoples
- young people
- people with mental illness
- women who smoke in pregnancy.
The action plan will guide the activities of the Department of Health, Top End Health Service and Central Australia Health Service.
The plan is currently undergoing consultation before being released.
The Tobacco Control Act aims to minimise the harms from smoking through:
- restricting smoking in certain public places and workplaces
- regulating packaging, advertising and sponsorship
- removing from display tobacco and smoking products
- regulating the conduct of premises at which tobacco is sold
- prohibiting the sale and supply of tobacco and smoking products to children.
Tobacco Control Act
Information about the Tobacco Control Amendment Bill
The Tobacco Control Amendment Bill is currently before the Northern Territory Parliament. The Bill proposes amendments to the Northern Territory Tobacco Control Act, including changes that will see the regulation of electronic cigarettes and their accessories. This FAQ is provided to assist retailers in understanding the proposed changes and their impacts, which will come into effect in early 2019 pending passage of the Bill through Parliament before the end of 2018.
Department of Health smoke free policy
The Smoke Free Policy is about providing a safe work environment for staff, protecting patients and visitors from environmental tobacco smoke, and providing help for staff and patients to quit smoking.