Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health
Aboriginal health policy
The Aboriginal Health Policy Unit provides strategic leadership and policy advice to improve the health and wellbeing outcomes for Aboriginal Territorians.
The unit supports the development and implementation of health policy to support the provision of culturally secure health services.
The unit supports national Aboriginal health priorities through participation on national projects, committees and working groups.
For more information read the Northern Territory Aboriginal Health Plan 2015-2018
It is recognised that a more respectful and responsive health and family wellbeing system contributes to improved health outcomes.
The Aboriginal Cultural Security Policy aims to strengthen Aboriginal Territorians' access to and benefits of health services by ensuring that the health system recognises the centrality of culture in delivering successful health outcomes.
The Aboriginal Cultural Security Framework 2016-2026 provides further information, details and advice on how to implement the Aboriginal Cultural Security Policy. This framework outlines priority actions to ensure that cultural security is addressed across the NT Health system.
The priorities of the Aboriginal Cultural Security Framework are:
- NT Health will increase the diversity of the health workforce to ensure it is representative of the NT's population
- NT Health employees will undertake ongoing professional development to strengthen skills in cultural safety and responsiveness
- NT Health will enhance effective communication between Aboriginal health consumers and health professionals to ensure ethical, safe and high quality care
- NT Health will take a whole of organisation approach to embed considerations of Aboriginal cultural security in all parts of the health system
- NT Health recognises the importance of leadership in driving improvements in cultural security
- NT Health values consumer and community participation to ensure Aboriginal people and communities work in partnership with health services to make informed choices, and provide feedback in service planning, implementation and evaluation
- NT Health will undertake quality improvement, planning, research and evaluation processes to consider and reflect on how the health system addresses cultural security. This supports ongoing learning and improvement.
Last updated: 07 December 2019
Share this page: