The Office of Disability is responsible for the provision of specialist support services for people with disability in the Northern Territory (NT).
Information about these disability services can be found on NT.GOV.AU:
- disability equipment program
- National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
- Northern Territory companion card
- referral services
- seating equipment assessment and technical service (SEAT)
The vision of the Office of Disability is for an inclusive society where people have productive and fulfilling lives as valued members of our communities.
The mission of the office is to:
- lead a quality, contemporary specialist service system
- foster responsive services an
- promote an empowering legislative and policy environment.
The Office of Disability works in partnership with key stakeholders to provide the above functions, these include:
- people with disability and their families and carers
- non-government disability service providers
- local government
- peak bodies
- Northern Territory Government agencies
- National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA).
The following legislation covers disability rights, carer rights and disability services.
- Disability Discrimination Act
- National Disability Insurance Scheme Act
- Australian Human Rights Commission website
The Disability Services National Minimum Data Set (DS NMDS) is a national collection of comparable data about services provided under the National Disability Agreement (NDA).
The collected data is used to inform policy and to support national reporting, including:
- the Report on Government Services (RoGS) - go to the Australian Government's Productivity Commission website.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) reports - go to the AIHW website.
All NT Government-funded disability service providers are required to provide DS NMDS data every two years.
Sector Development Fund project - external reports
The Office of Disability engaged PricewaterhouseCoopers Indigenous Consulting (PwC) to deliver a number of projects to support the roll out of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) in the Northern Territory. Below are the PwC’s project reports:
- Community Planning for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) in the Northern Territory including planning reports for:
- East Arnhem Planning Report
- Central Australia
- Top End
- Meeting and Exceeding Cultural Safety in the Workplace Report and Resource Toolkit
- Engaging Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations in Disability Service Provision
- NDIS Community of Practice, the NDIS in Remote Northern Territory