Department of Health Research
The DoH Research Governance Office (RGO) has been established as the single portal for seeking organisational approval for research for staff and associated services in the Department. The contact email for this is firstname.lastname@example.org
What does the process involve?
- Organisational authorisation is a three stage process.
- Unit level endorsement is by the relevant policy/business unit heads or general managers;
- Organisational endorsement is by the NT Health Research Advisory Group; and
- Organisational authorisation to commence the research is by the DoH Executive, once Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC) approval or waiver has been granted. HREC review proceeds in parallel to the other two stages.
- All stages need to be completed for all research proposals, including extending an existing proposal to another site. Ethics and governance review proceeds in parallel once local unit level endorsement has been confirmed.
- Authorisation is conditional upon HREC approval, with research governance office notification of any amendments required. This encourages communication, and allows parallel processing with minimal delays to research start up times.
A research project involving the Department of Health data collections only, does not require an SSA. Instead, in addition to ethical review by the relevant HREC, it requires governance review by the Department of Health. This process for data only research is facilitated by an application as described in the Data Governance Framework and Data Release Guideline.
Last updated: 07 December 2019
Share this page: