The Department of Health website contains corporate and health professionals' information only. Client information about hospitals, health clinics, child health, mental health, drug and alcohol treatment is published on NT.GOV.AU.
Men's health information for professionals
The Men's Health Strategy Unit (MHSU) was established in 2011 to provide expert advice, leadership and strategic direction in men's health, with a focus on Aboriginal male health.
The unit develops programs and services that improve the health outcomes of men living in the Northern Territory (NT), especially vulnerable populations of men.
The role of the MHSU is to:
- provide expert advice and leadership in men’s health and male-specific gender issues
- identify and address key health issues affecting the diversity of men living across the NT
- participate in and lead national and jurisdictional development of men's health policies and programs, including access to services
- develop strong partnerships with:
- NT Department of Health, Top End Health Service and Central Australian Health Service
- non-government organisations
- peak men’s health agencies
- Aboriginal community-controlled organisations.
- invest in the planning and development of targeted health promotion and disease prevention strategies
- support men’s health programs across other Department of Health units, branches and divisions as they adopt life-course and targeted population approaches.
The following principles underpin the work of the MHSU:
- importance of a systems-based approach
- commitment to program efficacy and evidence-based practice
- valuing partnerships
- supporting community engagement
- respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural security.
The unit is committed to the following projects and strategic plans.
- complimenting the Women’s Health Strategy Unit in leading the NT Government’s Domestic and Family Violence Reduction Strategy: Safety is Everyone’s Right, across NT Health
- developing a Men's Engagement Tool for NT Health
- helping in the development of a transgender policy and associated resources for NT Health
- domestic and family violence 'A Male Perspective' research project.
National Male Health Policy: Building on the strengths of Australian Males on the Australian Government's Department of health website.
National Plan to Reduce Violence Against Women and their Children on the Australian Government's Department of Social Services.
Men's Health Strategy Unit
Department of Health
4th Floor, Darwin Plaza
Smith Street, Darwin
Phone: (08) 8985 8183
Casuarina NT 0811
Last updated: 21 December 2016