The Department of Health website contains corporate and health professionals' information only. Client information about hospitals, health clinics, child health, mental health, drug and alcohol treatment is published on NT.GOV.AU.
Applied environmental health
The Environmental Health Branch has officers working in Darwin, Alice Springs, Katherine, Nhulunbuy and Tennant Creek, as well as remote communities.
The branch includes a small program and policy development team.
Officers administer the Public and Environmental Health Act and the Food Act to ensure that businesses comply with the following legislation:
The work of the branch includes:
- registration of food premises, body art, beauty therapy and commercial visitor accommodation
- helping Aboriginal communities to develop and maintain environmental health projects that improve living conditions
- working with other programs in the department and with other agencies, communities and key stakeholders to improve environmental health outcomes and support vulnerable populations
- investigating and resolving complaints
- conducting environmental health surveys, research and development.