Environmental health - Public Health
Applied environmental health
The Public Health Units - Environmental Health has officers working in Darwin, Alice Springs, Katherine, Nhulunbuy and Tennant Creek, as well as remote communities.
The branch includes a small program and policy development team.
Officers administer the Public and Environmental Health Act and the Food Act to ensure that businesses comply with the following legislation:
The work of the Public Health Units includes:
- registration of food premises, body art, beauty therapy and commercial visitor accommodation
- helping Aboriginal communities to develop and maintain environmental health projects that improve living conditions
- working with other programs in the department and with other agencies, communities and key stakeholders to improve environmental health outcomes and support vulnerable populations
- investigating and resolving complaints
- conducting environmental health surveys, research and development.
Last updated: 07 December 2019