Telehealth incorporates the use of video conferencing (VC) equipment that allows patients in remote areas to connect with healthcare providers in major centres.
TeleHealth NT has a mission to develop innovative, quality, evidence-based access to video-enabled healthcare following these principles:
- enhance participation by building local and regional networks to increase communication among patient, services and specialties in all aspects of health and wellbeing
- provide responsive health systems by supporting innovation in the health system and responding to local demands in a timely and cost-effective manner
- create synergy for services by providing targeted health interventions at the point of patient presentation
- support research and evaluation by collecting evidence that will ensure sustainable clinical practices.
TeleHealth NT includes seven service domains:
- Tele-Critical Care - improving quality and timely access to critical care skills and advice for remote patients.
- Tele-Specialist Clinics - improving logistics and access to ambulatory care services
- Tele-Workforce Support- enhancing clinical service delivery including education, training, clinical supervision and procedural support
- Tele-Complex Case Management - multi-disciplinary interventions that support advocacy, communication, and effective resource management
- Tele-Inpatient Care- inpatient care enhanced by access to specialists across the NT
- Tele-Family Support and Virtual Visitations - patient and family meetings strengthen outcomes by increasing participation in decision making while reducing anxiety experienced from being away from home and loved ones
- Tele-Sonography- real time connections to specialists required for diagnosis of conditions across video conference including ultrasound and other imagery.
- Reduce patient travel and costs
- Reduced time away from family and community
- Allows for shorter period of time away from work
- Improves access to follow up appointments (eg post-surgery)
NTG helpdesk: Service.Centre@nt.gov.au
TeleHealth Technical Support: TeleHealthHeldpesk.THS@nt.gov.au
Phone: 1800 000 254
Alice Springs Hospital
Royal Darwin Hospital
Last updated: 19 August 2020
Share this page: