Medical care for travellers to the NT

If you have travelled to the Northern Territory (NT) and become unwell, you can continue to access health services.

GP services

If you have a usual GP, you should contact them to see if you can make a telehealth appointment. Read more about telehealth on the Australian Government's Department of Health website.

If you can't reach your usual doctor, find a local health service on the Healthdirect website. If you have COVID-19 or are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, you'll need to have an online or phone consult while you isolate.

If you can't reach your GP or an online service

If you're unable to contact your usual GP, can't connect with online medical services, or are in a remote area, you can contact one of the following clinics:

If it's a medical emergency, call triple zero (000).

If you need medication

If you decide with your GP on a course of medication, the prescription can be sent to a chemist close to you where you are staying or sent to your phone as a token via their medical records system. Call the chemist to check if they have the medication you need in stock.

If you get COVID-19 and need antiviral medication, it's important to start taking it within 5 days of symptoms. Read more about medications for COVID-19.

If you are isolating because you have COVID-19, many pharmacies offer a delivery service – talk to your local chemist about this as an option. You can also get friends, family or close contacts to collect your prescription.


You can get a COVID-19 booster while in the NT. Find a clinic on the Australian Government's Department of Health website.

Flu shots are also available for travellers. Read more about flu vaccination.


If you are a close contact or show symptoms of COVID-19, you should take a test.

Cruise ship passengers who need PCR tests will have to use a private pathology service. Find out more about how to get tested for COVID-19.

Last updated: 10 August 2022

Share this page:

URL copied!

Last updated: 10 August 2022