Employment and vacancies

Apply for a nursing or midwifery position

There's a career waiting for you in Australia's Northern Territory.

The pages in this section have information about ongoing vacancies for nurses and midwives across NT Health, including:

  • hospitals
  • renal clinics
  • midwifery
  • nursing
  • mental health
  • primary health care.

Find your new nursing or midwifery position with NT Health

Applications and expressions of interests are available for enrolled or registered nurses, nurse practitioners and registered midwives across a range of generalist and specialist disciplines throughout NT Health.

Applications are made through a centralised online job application portal:

  1. Go to the NT Jobs portal and search for available jobs with the keyword 'Nurse'. If you have a preferred location, add it to the Location field and hit the Search button.
  2. Submit your application online through the portal.


All applicants for nursing and midwifery positions must hold current Australian registration.

Further information on registration can be found on the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia website.

Staff immunisation

NT Health is committed to ensuring that all health care workers are protected from vaccine preventable diseases.

Before starting work nurses and midwives must provide immunisation records.

Criminal history check and working with children

If you're offered employment you will need to submit a national criminal history record check and a working with children clearance (also called an Ochre Card), at your own expense. National Police Certificates issued by third party providers (such as Fit2Work, Healthoutcomes Australia and National Crim Check) are not accepted.

For more information and to apply go to:

International nurses and midwives

All health professionals wishing to practice in Australia must hold Australian registration, have appropriate levels of education, skill and experience as well as the appropriate visa to work in Australia.

For information about Australian registration for overseas practitioners go to these websites:

For information about living and working in Australia go to the Australian Government's Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.


For information about career structure, salary (rates of pay) and remuneration packages go to the NT Government's Office for the Commissioner for Public Employment (OCPE).


Chief Nursing and Midwifery Office
Phone: 1800 000 648

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 23 December 2016

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!