The Men's Health Strategy Unit (MHSU) was established within the Department in 2011. Its purpose is to provide expert advice, leadership and strategic direction in men's health, with a particular focus on Aboriginal male health. The Unit will also lead the development and the strategic planning of programs and services to improve health outcomes of men living in the Northern Territory, especially vulnerable populations of men.
- Develop a strategy for improving the health and well-being of males in the NT
- Integrate male gender perspective into Departmental policy, plans and programs
- Develop and support research capacity on gender and health including the establishment of a data collection process which provides accessible data on key health and well-being indicators which can inform program development
- Establish and support a network which encourages information sharing and collaborative program development
- Increase men's use of health services through workforce training, development and increasing the male health workforce
- Improve public awareness about male health and improve men's knowledge about, and use of preventative health and well-being services
- Invest in the planning and development of targeted health promotion and disease prevention strategies
- Provide advice and support for implementation of targeted health programs for Aboriginal males
The Department operates a wide range of medical and health services, these can be found on this website under helplines and hotlines. For other services in the Northern Territory download:
- Male Health and Wellbeing Services (Adobe PDF document - 54KB) | RTF (25KB)
- Call Health Direct Australia on 1800 022 222 who can refer you to the service you need.