Review of Schedule 8 of the Health Practitioners Act
The provisions of Schedule 8 of the Health Practitioners Act and the functions of the Pharmacy Premises Committee is currently under review. Further information, including options for providing input into the review, is provided on the Pharmacy Premises Committee web page.
New Public and Environmental Health Act
The Department of Health is committed to promoting and protecting the health and wellbeing of all Territorians, and advises that the new Public and Environmental Health Act commenced on 1 July 2011 in the Northern Territory (NT).
This Act replaced the outdated Public Health Act 1952 and represents a significant step in public health legislation reform. Download fact sheets:
- P&EH Guidelines, standards and regulations (Adobe PDF document - 30KB)
- P&EH Impact on Businesses (Adobe PDF document - 31KB)
Consultation for subordinate legislation
Over the coming months, input will be sought for the development of subordinate guidelines, standards and regulations with the intention of further modernising our flexible legislative framework for monitoring and regulating public and environmental health in the NT. Please check this website for updates on the development of subordinate legislation and consultation details.
If you have any questions, please refer to our Contact Us page.
The following legislation is sourced from the Chief Minister's website. Since legislation links change at each amendment without notice, some of these links will become temporarily broken.
- Food Act
- Public and Environmental Health Act
- Public Health (Shops, Boarding-Houses, Hotels and Hostels) Regulations
- Public Health (Barbers' Shops) Regulations
- Public Health (General Sanitation, Mosquito Prevention, Rat Exclusion and Prevention) Regulations
- Public Health (Night-soil, Garbage, Cesspits, Wells and Water) Regulations
- Public Health (Nuisance Prevention) Regulations
- Public Health (Noxious Trades) Regulations
- Poisons and Dangerous Drugs Act
- Poisons and Dangerous Drugs Regulations
- Therapeutic Goods and Cosmetics Act